Q Why Study in Japan?
A High academic standards and attractive programs
Japanese scientists have been awarded Nobel Prizes in Physics, Physiology or Medicine, and Chemistry, underlining the opportunities to study cutting-edge science and technology in Japan.  You can study not only law, economics, science, and engineering, but also the environment, information, disaster prevention, tourism, and pastry making, through to pop culture such as manga, anime, games, fashion, and many other fields. The number of degree programs conducted in English is also increasing
A Enables you to learn in an international environment
International students from various countries and regions of the world are studying at, among others, universities and Japanese language schools in Japan. Recently, student dormitories where international students and Japanese students live together are increasing. They will have a broader view through exposure to Japan, as well as diverse cultures of the world
A Enables you to seek employment in Japan
Recently, more and more international students work in Japanese companies after graduation. Likewise, Japanese companies are also actively hiring international students.
Q When should I apply for admission for a MEXT College of Technology, an undergraduate or graduate scholarship?
A The application for admission is usually in April of each year.

Q How can I find out more about the application procedure?
A Please visit the Embassy of Japan in Jamaica (https://www.jamaica.emb-japan.go.jp/) or the Study in Japan websites (http://www.g-studyinjapan.jasso.go.jp/en)
You may also contact the Embassy of Japan at 1 876 929-3338-9 ext. 237.

Q Can I find a job in Japan after my graduation?
A Upon graduating, you can find work at a company by using your professional knowledge and skills that you acquired in Japan. It is very important to have a clear objective regarding what you would like to do after being employed.  Moreover, companies require international students with advanced language abilities and are able to adapt to the Japanese culture. You will also need to change your residency status.

Q Can a permanent resident of Japan apply for the MEXT scholarship?
A No. You must be a citizen of Jamaica by birth or naturalization. Prospective applicant with other nationality should apply to their country of citizenship.

Q I have a disability. Can I receive assistance and support from the school to take the
exam or during my schooling?
A Some international students with disabilities are studying in Japan with assistance from their schools. If you need any support to take the entrance examination or in your schooling due to illness, a disability or a specific condition, please indicate so during the application process.

Q How can I choose the right university for my studies?
A In the case of the undergraduate and College of Technology students, MEXT will assign you the appropriate institutions. For Graduate students, research is essential to finding suitable labs for your fields of studies. You could follow the study in Japan links provided.

Q What level of Japanese language proficiency is required to study at a university or a professional training college?
A You must have Japanese language proficiency that is at least equivalent to 200 points in the EJU exam (Japanese as a Foreign Language) or the Level N1 or N2 of the Japanese-Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) to keep up with classes. If you have not reached this proficiency level, you are encouraged to study Japanese before going to Japan.   However, for the MEXT scholarship, a 6-month intensive course is done before you start your course (Graduate) and a 1 year course for undergraduate and College of Technology students after arriving in Japan

Q Are there programmes that allow me to earn a degree by taking classes conducted in English only?
A Yes, there are. The number of such programmes is increasing each year. However, please note that Colleges of Technology, junior colleges, and professional training colleges do not provide programmes conducted in English only.

Q I learn that students are usually enrolled in colleges around April in Japan.  Is there a September or October admission system in Japan?
A Yes, there is. Many graduate schools use a September or October admission system.

Q When do schools in Japan go on vacation?
A Typically, there are three long school vacations: summer (from late July to early September), winter (from late December to early January), and spring ( from February to March).

Q Is a degree earned in Japan valid in other countries?
A Normally, a degree earned in Japan is recognized as equivalent to those earned in other countries. In some countries, however, the Ministry of Education or a qualifications assessment institution appraises academic degrees obtained in foreign countries. It is recommended that you check with the assessment body in your Jamaica to confirm validity.

Q Can International Students work part-time?
A The Government of Japan grants foreign students the resident status of “Student” and right to stay in Japan for the purpose of study. Regarding part-time jobs, the Immigration Bureau screens students and only allows students that are primarily focused on studying and  attending  school regularly to work (28 hours a week and up to 8 hours a day during long vacations).

Q  How much money should I take to Japan?
A  It will take 1-1.5 months before you receive your first stipend so cash is necessary. Also, if you rent private property, you will need money to cover (deposit- shikikin, key money-reikin and rental expense in addition to living expenses). Don’t be alarmed, US2,000.00 should be enough to get by for that period. Dormitory accommodation is provided for students who have been nominated by the Embassy in accordance to their scholarship category.  Please comply with the procedures.

Q Do Jamaicans need a Japanese visa to study in Japan?
A Yes. Ensure that the visa you receive states “College Student Status”. You should also ensure that you have a valid passport that will last for the duration of your study period.

Q Who bears the cost of the air ticket?
A Traveling expenses will be paid by MEXT. Tickets are electronically generated. If you are successful, the airline will confirm flight schedule. Ground transportation (in your country and in Japan) will not be borne by MEXT.
For further details, please contact the International Student Adviser of the university you will attend.

Q What are the other benefits the scholarship offers?
A Monthly Stipend
-117,000 Yen - for undergraduate /College of Technology scholarships
-143,000 Yen - for Research Student Scholarship (non-degree programme)
-144,000 Yen- for students enrolled in a Master's programme
- 145,000 Yen- for students enrolled in a doctorial programme
In case that the recipient researches in a designated region, 2,000 or 3,000 yen per month will be added.

Q  Is health Insurance provided for college students under the MEXT scholarship?
A All students who will be in Japan with a “College Student Visa” must join the National Health Insurance System.  Application is done at the Local Municipal Office, National Health Insurance Section. A monthly discounted fee will be paid depending on student’s income/stipend.

Q  Can I take my family with me to Japan?
A  Graduate student can take their family to Japan as a Dependent, however, all expenses will be borne by the recipient of the scholarship.

Q  Can I change my Major once I get to Japan?
A  Unfortunately not. You were awarded the scholarship based on the research topic (Major) presented. Also, it would be very inconvenient for MEXT to sought a new supervisor at the spur of moment. It is for this reason that the application process takes a full year. 

Q I am not proficient in Japanese, so how can I survive in Japan?
A You will be assigned a supervisor who should be able to assist you in your daily life. You should communicate with him about not just your research, but also about finding your way around for the first few months.

Q I have a medical condition that needs treatment every month.  Are there doctors who can communicate in English adequately in order to treat me?
A In most cases you can find a doctor in your area who can communicate in English. However, it would be good if you discuss this with your academic supervisor. If he cannot assist you, then you could find a classmate or someone who can speak both languages or hire a translator to accompany you to the doctor.

Q What happens after I submit my application to the Embassy?
A Please refer to the application timeline under application procedures on the Embassy of Japan in Jamaica’s website.

Q If I am unable to produce my graduation certificate at the time of the application, what should I do?
A A letter from the institution you attended stating that you are presently enrolled as well as the expected time of graduation will suffice.  If you have graduated but do not have the degree on hand, you may also request a letter stating that you have successfully completed the course and will be awarded a degree.

Q Who can write References for me?
A If you currently attending college, kindly source one form your academic supervisor, faculty Dean or a lecturer (for graduate students). If presently working, a second recommendation is required from your employer. For College of Technology and undergraduate students, your recommendation should come from your Principal or Vice Principal.  If this is not possible, one from your Dean of Discipline or Guidance Counsellor will suffice.