Visa: FAQ


Frequently asked questions on visas and general entry to Japan:

1. How do I obtain a visa application form?

Visa application forms may be obtained from our website or by collecting the applications with visa requirements guide in person from our Embassy at the following address:
2 Oxford Road, Kingston 5
NCB Towers, North Tower
6th Floor
2. Do I still need to produce all of the documents listed above even though I have applied for a Japanese visa before?

Yes, even though you may have made an application for a Japanese visa in the past, you would still need to produce the documents that are outlined above at the time of your new application.
3. (a) What is the processing time? How long does it take to obtain a Japanese visa?

Once the completed visa application is received along with the required supporting documentation between the hours of 9am to 12 noon and 1pm to 4pm from Mondays to Wednesdays, the visa may be disbursed on the Friday of the same week. The normal processing time is approximately 3 to 5 working days, but it might be longer depending on the case. Full documentation must be submitted in order to be granted a visa within this time frame.

(b) How far in advance can I apply for the visa?

Japanese visas are only valid for a period of three months from the date of issue. Therefore, ideally a visa application should be lodged at least two weeks before the intended travel date. For example; if the intended travel date to Japan is in January, the visa application should be lodged in December. If the visa application is lodged before November and a visa is issued at that time for a travel date in January, the visa would expire before departure to Japan.
4. For what period is a visa issued?
Single entry visas are normally issued for 15, 30 or 90 days
5. What size photographs are acceptable for the visa application form?
Original and passport photos sized 2in x 1.4in are acceptable. Applicants should not wear any glasses or hats; ears must be visible in the photo. Photos must NOT be taken at an angle or in profile; the applicant must face forward. Photos should ideally be taken on the day of the application or taken at least within the last 6 months.
6. Can I be issued a visa on spot or within a day?
Emergency situations do occur and the Embassy of Japan attempts to make every effort to respond to these emergencies. It is advised however, to call and enquire beforehand whether your visa application may be lodged under your extenuating circumstance.
7. Are appointments necessary for visa applications?
Appointments are not necessary. Visa applications are accepted between 9am to 12 noon and 1pm to 4pm from Mondays to Wednesdays only.
8. Can a Japanese visa be issued at the airport on arrival?
Japanese visas are not issued at the airport. Therefore, a visa must be obtained before arrival in Japan
9. Can a courier service or third party be used to lodge an application for a visa?
We don't accept visa application by courier.
10. I’m living outside of Jamaica. Can I apply at Embassy of Japan in Jamaica?
Where an applicant is normally resident outside of Jamaica in a territory accredited to the Embassy of Japan in Jamaica, the applicant may apply to the nearest Consulate or Embassy to their current location. Or, they may fax or e-mail their completed application form and supporting documents for pre-approval after which the original documentation must be submitted at the Embassy for the processing of their visa at the scheduled date and time given by the Consular Officer.
11. Is a Japanese visa required if I will be visiting Japan by cruise ship?
12. Are Transit visas required even if the national does not leave the airport?
If you don’t leave the airport, a transit visa is not required. It is recommended however, that for applicants who will transit to their destination as well as on their return trip to apply for a transit visa due to the possibility of missing connection flights or flight cancellations which could leave no other option than to seek accommodation in Japan.
13. If I am a permanent resident of the US or Canada, what documents do I need to apply for a visa?
Visas are issued based on nationality (i.e. the passport that you hold will be used for entry to Japan); therefore, a Japanese visa is required to enter Japan, even if the applicant has a green card or PR card from the US or Canada. If your nationality is not listed among countries and regions that have Visa Exemption arrangements with Japan, you would need to make a visa application to the Embassy of Japan.